Pages

Sunday, August 2, 2015

#WhereIrun

Love this month's blog topic - - sharing about my favorite places to run, and epic run, or something of the sort.  I thought it would be cool to play the 50 states game.  Either an epic run in that state, or epic running memory :)

CB Disclaimer***  This is NOT to brag about all the places I have run, I really have been nowhere extremely swanky or important, just been lucky to travel for running or work so hopped quite a few of the beautiful 50!  My hope is that you might be traveling to these same spots and decide to try one? (or avoid)!

Here we go!  In alphabetical order of course, how else would a highly Type A, anal runner do it?

  • Alabama:  Never been, hmmm, not a good way to start, perhaps Alphabetical was not the right way to start!
  • Alaska:  Crap, never been, ha this is turning out to be quite the blog post.
  • American Samoa:  Wha?!  Never heard of this - this is a state?
  • Arizona:  Ok, I live here, phew, I got this!  I would have to say the canal - hands down.  You can either take it into old Scottsdale and see lots of people, restaurants, etc.  Or go the other way (my favorite, which we rarely do) go into the farmlands.  Where you are literally by your self for MILES and MILES.  It is soft dirt that silently crushes under your feet and blazing sun that relentlessly shines down on you.  It's so quiet, so peaceful, it's almost heaven-like, or at least what I hope heaven is like.  Many a runs there where I have sorted through life's seemingly unsolvable problems.  
  • Arkansas:  Work trip, ran around the University Campus, and into the little downtown, I remember thinking about the University of Arkansas runners, as they have an esteemed program and thinking about Deena Kastor who ran there.  And then I remember finishing and saying, I am ready to go home :)
  • California:  I hope my most epic run is yet to come in CA :) But for now has to be Google;s campus, they have trails through there that are soft and just amazing to run on, got in a good 7 miler through the entire campus over hills, through the cafe area, by the outdoor pools, sand volley ball, place was amazing to see.
  • Colorado:  Magnolia Road with Adam.  It was a huge bucket list item, and the run was just magical for me.  If you go to Boulder, you HAVE To run this.  It's 15 miles in altitude, slightly uphill - all soft surface.  Great mix of sun and shade.  It's a perfect run.
  • Connecticut:  never been, not on bucket list :)
  • Delaware:  Ran here before a funeral  - in the dead of winter  - so not really good memories.
  • District of Columbia:  Cherry Blossom 10 Mile US Championship.  Amazingly beautiful run and weekend.  If you are a runner, this race is a MUST for your bucket list.  It's kind of the lottery as to whether the trees are in bloom or not, but either way a historic amazing course.  Also, day before I ran through Georgetown, amazing trails by the river.  Reco staying there and biking everywhere you need to be!

  • Florida:  Love, love Love the Tampa Clearwater Beach Area.  Favorite run would be staying in Clearwater, running over the bridge that takes you to the beach (so beautiful) then running on the beach and back - I think net is was 8 miles, and just perfect mix of soft, hard, sand, and back!
  • Georgia:  Was on a project for work that took me here every week for 5 months.  Never forget the first morning, I knew EXACTLY where I wanted to run - Centennial Park of course!  And as my work buddy told me - Atlanta is where I learned to "sprint". :)  Never run ALONE in Centennial park at 6am - - not nice.
  • Guam:  Never been, not really on bucket list either :)
  • Hawaii:  Bucket list!!
  • Idaho:  Go here for work quite a bit, starting at the Hampton Inn right downtown, run literally across the street on to their river path and takes you right to Boise State   - and you run right by the infamous "Blue" football field!
  • Illinois:  You would think I would say Chicago, or my hometown STC, but instead going with an epic run!  A recent epic run.  Went to Galena, Il for a wedding and had 13 miles, Justin and I figured out and back - can't do much harm right?  Hilliest HELL run I have ever done in my life.  Relentless hills.  Swear to you Illinois has hills.  I rarely get sore and it took me 1.5 weeks to recover from that massacre.
  • Indiana:  Oh this is one where I hope, pray in fact my mom isn't reading.  Driving home from Cincinnati one time, decided to take a break, park at a national forest and run a few miles.  And those who know me well know what happens next?!  Yep.  Lost. Epically Bad.  Ended up on some road had to get a ride back to the parking lot to my car.  Think I aged 10 years that day.  I would tell you about the park if it was worth telling you about....but just trust me, nothing on 65 is worth stopping for.
  • Iowa:  University of Iowa campus to visit old boyfriend at the time.  We broke up a few weeks later so must not have been that epic :)-
  • Kansas:  Work trip to Wichita - where no joke they have a Dorthy statue at the airport saying there is no place like home - - there is though :)  Remember lots of dust, fields, and running past an Amish restaurant that said they had the best hot buns in the world (I have a weird memory I know) 
  • Kentucky:  Believe it or not having lived close to here I only ran there once -  Anthem 5k Classic - had a great race - won some good stuff - so good memories.  It was around the Louisville Slugger Museum I remember that - and also thinking this is a nice area :)
  • Louisiana:  never been, not on bucket list :)
  • Maine:  Easiest of the 50 - If you have one thing on your bucket list - make it be Beach to Beacon 10k.  WOW!   This is Joan Benoit's race and it starts in Cape Elizabeth, Maine, all the elites come out for it, and it is be far the prettiest race you will ever run.


  • Maryland:  Ran in Baltimore for work on boardwalk - - I thought it was great but lot's of people say Baltimore is nasty?  Maybe I ran in the nice part?
  • Massachusetts:  Charles River Loop, love the soft gravel paths and just hundreds of people out and about, Boston is truly a running mecca.
  • Michigan:  Dad used to work in Grand Rapids, and remember going up there once to see him for something and running a few miles near a golf course, really really pretty up there - VERY GREEN!
  • Minnesota:  Where I really started to run!  I lived in Minneapolis on a soft trail, and this is where it all really began, I had been running a tad after college but the competitive scene here is what really sparked my curiosity.  Epic run would be The Boston Scientific 10K, not sure if still called that - but a great 10K around the lakes in August.  Lots of elites, well organized, fast course.
  • Mississippi: never been, not on bucket list :)
  • Missouri:  Not a huge fan of this state because the Cardinals are there (gross), but did run by the arch and stadium, just remember it being like 150% humidity  - but pretty downtown!
  • Montana: never been, not on bucket list :)
  • Nebraska: never been, not on bucket list :)
  • Nevada:  Las Vegas for work - yuck - dirty, people hooting and hollering at me, not a great experience.
  • New Hampshire: Loon Mountain Trail Run, day trip from Providence, RI....in the Fall, beautiful Foliage!
  • New Jersey:  never been, not on bucket list :)
  • New Mexico:  Bucket list for sure!  Want to go to the Hot Air Balloon Festival and run the trails around there and I think there is a 10K that weekend too that is pretty famous.
  • New York:  Easy.  Central Park, where I almost blasted Justin for taking forever to tie his shoe, when actually he was on one knee :)  Never forget that engagement run, ever.  Always a special place in my heart.

  • North Carolina:  Recruiting trip at Duke, ran through campus during Fall, and actually into Cameron Stadium, because the door was open!  Got the chills standing in there.  Very old and smelly.
  • North Dakota:  never been, not on bucket list :)
  • Northern Marianas Islands:  Wha?!   I need to go back to school, not sure what this is either.
  • Ohio: Cincinnati - - if you visit here try to time it with one of these great great races:  Hyde Park Blast (June), Ladies Distance Classic (August), or Mini Heart Marathon (March)    You would never think  Cincinnati for running, but they have a great race calendar for all seasons
  • Oklahoma:  Actually want to run here, just never been.
  • Oregon:  Pre's run for sure.  So 2 things if you go.  1)  Do Pre's Trail - this soft woodchip lined trail that takes you right by the football stadium, pretty cool.  2)  Run by Pre's rock, hill is a BOOGER, but another run that will give you the chills when you see where he was hit.
  • Pennsylvania:  Three Rivers Trail  -  takes you right downtown, in the Fall it's awesome, trees, bridges, water - good stuff.  
  • Puerto Rico:  Never been, but would for sure be up for it!
  • Rhode Island:  Having lived here for almost 2 years this was a tough call! I had a lot of great runs, but I think my most memorable was one morning when I got the call at 5am that my grandpa had passed away.  I couldn't go back to sleep so I put my shoes on and ran down Blackstone Blvd which is an all gravel path in Providence that the elites who train there (Molly Huddle, Kim Smith) cruise on.  It's the perfect length (5K) for some speed work.  Anyways I remember getting out there and mind you no one gets up really early b/c it's not 110 at 6 am :)  And literally just hearing my breath and my thoughts and tears just streaming down my face as I ran.  Not usually an emotional person, not sure why I was crying actually, I just felt like the older you get the more and more good byes you have to say, the more you have to let go to what was your life, and move on.
  • South Carolina:  Hilton Head - running vacation to get some training in a few years back,  ran on the beach which is a 'harder beach' so good for running.  Quiet, beautiful, definitely would go back there. Don't need a car, you can bike everywhere.
  • South Dakota:  Never been there, not on bucket list.
  • Tennessee:  Nashville for work -   Hit their bike path and then through downtown, very beautiful.  Another CB moment, left my keys under the wheel in a park parking lot - obviously the skate boarders saw me do it and moved them to another wheel.  Provided for a panic attack, but eventually found them, and heard them laughing :(
  • Texas:  Okay, hopefully no one from work is reading this b/c they will really think I am weird. I had a double the day I was in Tyler Tx for work so I ran in the AM, but then after my meeting I got dropped at the Tyler Airport (size of my kitchen) and asked "WELCOME TO TYLER" desk man to hold my luggage while I ran.  I ran 4 miles around the airport in 100 heat, and then went right on the plane.  I knew if I didn't get it in then, I wouldn't in 115 at home that night.  But it was one of those moments where I realized I have this sick drive, this sick heart that I know, I know will get me to my dream.
  • Utah:  Salt Lake City recently with teammate Natalie - been to SLC many times, but this was an epic run just for the peacefulness of the morning and the conversation - SugarLoaf park was the name if you are looking for a good spot!
  • Vermont:  Hiked - never ran, and if you are a runner you are anal and know that doesn't count
  • Virginia:  Never been
  • Virgin Islands:  Sign me Up!
  • Washington:  Seattle - remember it was raining and thinking wow how perfect.  Ran downtown, and remember it being rather hilly too?
  • West Virginia:  All I remember is running by the running store and the tshirts in the window said "West Virginia is for Lovers" with a picture of runners on it.  ?  
  • Wisconsin:  Work trip by Great Wold Lodge HQ (dont ask, it's what happens when you sell diapers :) - - Wisconsin is beautiful, very similar (I think) to Illinois - lots of trees, rolling hills type stuff.
  • Wyoming: never been, not on bucket list :)

No comments:

Post a Comment