Pages

Saturday, August 29, 2015

Back 2 Racing for me & a race for you!

It is hard right now not to feel "insanely" happy.  And I don't by any means intend for that to come across as arrogant - - it's not like I won a major marathon or for that matter any major race.  I mean we're talking local 5k and 10k.  But after 5 months of a whole lot of nothing, 2 weekends in a row of solid races (2 wins and 2 PRs) is satisfying.
It is difficult when you are in the midst of "hell" to see the light (whether it be injury, illness, relationships, work, life, family, etc).  And quite frankly the majority of time when people say "hang in there" you want to either a) punch them in the face or b)  hang them on the branch if they like to hang so much :)
But that statement is true.  You have to HANG on, and just about when you are set to let go, you cannot take it anymore, BOOM, that's when it turns.  You have to hang on though, you cannot, cannot let go.
That's where I was only 4 months ago really - -rock bottom baby. Hanging by my pinky.  My ankle hated me.  I hated my ankle.  Nothing I would do would improve it.  No doctor, PT, insert whomever, really knew what was going on.
I remember one Saturday morning hitting my toe on the counter in the kitchen and literally getting tears in my eyes - not because the toe hurt (it did ) but because I was barefoot because I was icing my stupid ankle which wasn't doing anything anyway.  I was beyond frustrated.  I was ready to give up.  Then later that afternoon I ran into someone at yoga named Becky.  I knew of her, knew she worked with athletes.  But I was in a grouchy mood, and just wanted to be left alone.  She asked me how running was going.  I said it wasn't and she said I should come in and see her.  I didn't know how to say no, but I was sick of doctors, PTs, chiros, etc.  So what do I do, I say yes. I figured I could some how weasel my way out.  But something compelled me to go.  So I did.
And I kept pointing to my ankle, and she kept pointing to my hips, and I kept saying it was my ankle, and she worked on my arch, and I kept saying it was....you get the point.  And just like that by looking at the whole chain, she solved it.  We worked hard no doubt, it wasn't a day fix, but I knew we were on to something when the next day the pain when running was almost nada?  She was vested too, she texted me before I got back from every run to check, she knew the workouts I had, and waited for the results.  She believed in me, and that's what I think I needed most.  She knew I wasn't done.  And she let me know that.  She was the gust of wind that gave me enough strength to get my other hand on the branch and pull myself up.

And after 3 solid months of training now, I was able to kick the cobwebs off and race!  So 2 quick race reviews for you!

Arizona Sunrise Series 5K
I haven't run a 5K in years, but it was perfect as a tune up for the 10K we really wanted to race the next weekend, so we figured game on.
Even at 6:30 am it was 94 degrees so coach said basically don't be stupid - start out conservatively this is not a PR day.  And I actually did manage not to be a moron, and ran 3 consistent miles, at about 5:52 pace for a PR and 1st (18:18).  I felt really strong throughout, body felt great, smooth in strides and follow kick which I have been working on.  I was in 2nd until the last 1/2 mile and have a little bit of a competitive OCD issue, so I red lined it and passed her - and felt that more in my head - which upon finishing felt so hot I thought it might pop off.
It felt great to be out there again, and net the race did exactly what I needed it to do - get the cobwebs off, play with my pre-race routine and nutrition, and build my confidence.

This was near the end where I red-lined it a bit - and you can also see my left arm out there in China - we're working on that :)

Ran this race for 3 teammates who are no longer, as they battle some tough stuff.  #alwaysteammates #Strongertogether
Actually one of the cooler medals I have seen and extra meaning after coming back from injury (net a keeper!)


Jet to Jetty 10K
Yes, I know the name is precious in itself, I actually am not sure why it is called that?  And quite honestly I don't have time to investigate it :)  Anyways, had a good week of training after the 5K - recovered pretty quick with an ice bath and good sleep/nutrition.    Wednesday track left me feeling excited to get after it on race day, and we decided to play it conservatively on miles 1-3 and then if feeling good at the end  - RIP IT.   Yea, I blew this one.  First uphill mile in 5:42 pretty much shot the conservative game plan out the window.  But, previously I would have let that mentally KILL me, I now have such a different perspective on everything, I actually caught myself smiling instead and said - well sister you best hang on :)  And I was able to  - 37:17, a huge PR for me, and a "W" as well.

Ran this one for Becky, she gave me back what I love more than anything - - I wanted to win this one for her badly.

The Jet to Jetty Baby!!!!!!!

This was my ice bath after the race!

My adorable Nephew, Connor, drew this for me before the race.  That's me, don't you see it?  I am very focused.  

This race was in my sponsor's backyard, and it actually turned out to be a Skechers Sweep!  We won the male/female 10K and the female 5K.    
 
So where to from here?  Essentially a whole month of back to training and getting stronger, and then I am stoked to test the legs out at the Chicago 1/2 Marathon at the end of September! Most folks know I love my home turf, and my mom always takes super good care of me on race weekends home!  Mom makes the best PB sandwiches :)  I cannot wait!  Who wants to join me?!  I am not sure the best way to do this, but I think FaceBook might be - so the first person to message me why they want to run the Chicago 1/2 gets to run for free!  I'll send you the code.

Check out the race via the link below!  You have a month to get ready -and the weather and course are epic! And if you aren't first, I have some sweet discount codes I'll send you anyway to make it much cheaper!
http://www.chicagohalfmarathon.com/

#Iamgoingtorun26.2milesat613pacebecausethatiswhatIamgoingtodo

All the best,
CB




No comments:

Post a Comment