Pages

Monday, May 28, 2018

Report Cards & Racing Recaps

In January, I posted my (3) 'resolutions' for 2018.  Normally, I am not into New Years Resolutions because as a "Type A", very competitive, perfectionist I am pretty much setting and tracking goals on a daily basis ( insert all the razing I have gotten over the years for my infamous timed showers ๐Ÿ˜‚).  However, this year I wanted to be very intentional about focusing against a new mindset  - - so I set specific resolutions; and I actually do reflect on them often and I think* they have helped me quite a bit.  So 6 months in...how am I doing?!
First off, Rediscover Joy๐Ÿ‘‰  (Being 'with' more, laughing more, racing more)
  • Grade: A-
  • Being 'with' more:  This one has opened my eyes to how important relationships are to me; even as an introvert.  I don't think I ever really realized that.  From family to friends to co-workers to running buddies - - people matter, a lot to me.  I like deep relationships with few and genuine relationships with many; where both sides truly invest.  Whether it was more frequent or more consistent connects, more check-ins, or long over-due re-connects....the past 6 months have been awesome. People can and do fill your heart (*I am not stupid, I know they can do the opposite too, that's why you choose wisely) ๐Ÿ’—
Whether it's work buddies...

or hot pizza dates with this guy?

or running week in and week out with the old crew...

or adding new ones to the crew....


...or long overdue reconnects.
  • Laughing more:  Absolutely.  I have not laughed so much or so hard, so often in a long time.  120% of this goes to Justin.  While I am often the butt of the jokes or commentary๐Ÿ˜– I can also dish it out pretty fast...but I guess more than anything I don't understand how I lived life without him.  We celebrate 2 years in less than a month, and I was the one nervous about marriage; and now I don't know what I would do without it.
From playing sports, to watching sports....only thing with Justin is he (actually along with my coach) don't understand bets, and paying up when you lose.  Maybe it's a male thing.

anything for free stuff ๐Ÿ˜œ
  • Racing more:   Well, not so much, Boston didn't happen, and thus all the races leading up to it never happened either.  And that was rough.  But, I am probably the strongest and healthiest I have been in a long time now, and actually just got my first race under my belt last weekend.  I went to Chicago for the Spring Half Marathon with a goal of 1:25 in my head.  It came pretty easily through 7, with my splits dead on 6:23/6:24, without much effort.  At around 7 you hit the lakefront, and the wind had different plans for me.  That was miserable.  I tried to refocus and race not for time, but for place, a true race.  And I ended up 1st in AG, and 6th overall, which for a bigger race, I'll take.  I left, confident in my fitness, and excited that I was on the right path.
The lack of fans in Chicago, tells you how cold, windy it was - that city is usually electric with their fans! Even so, I don't regret it, because it ended with finish line hugs from mom❤

Second, Recovery.
  • Grade:  B (solid)
  • This is a tough one for me, but owning it, has made me think twice before I do anything.  I'm getting older ๐Ÿ‘€ but I find myself so much more tired now than I ever have been.  Work, travel, training wipe me, by Wednesday, I cannot wait for my Saturday nap!  I am much more intentional about not working as much at night, being okay just sitting watching movies with Justin, and leaving that load of laundry or unswiffered floor until I have more energy๐Ÿ˜Š And I think it has actually helped my running, I am not burning it so hard, all the time.  Unfortunately, with work/travel it's hard to really have balance and so be it, I love what I do, and it works for me, and I do my best to manage the ebbs and flos to enable recovery.
  • I think I also have found a great thing with my PTs @ Spooner PT.  I see Torrey and Brian once a week for a tune-up and strengthening/stability work.  They are so vested in me and my dream; I sincerely feel like they rebuilt me and genuinely care about getting me there.  I look forward to Monday nights with them.
  • I started Cryotherapy ( by recommendation of Brian) - at USCryotherapy; and man has that made a huge difference for me. I could and probably will write a whole blog in it because of the amount of questions I have gotten around it; but for me I really feel like it has decreased the overall level of inflammation in my body, and enabled me to get ahead of negative inflammation and feeling really good.
That'd be me running in -180 degrees!  You have to keep moving so you don't get frost on your eyelids (Or at least I do!)
Third,  Regain my mental Mojo.
  • Grade:  B-
  • On the one hand I just got off the phone with my coach, Adam, and he said, I quote, "you need to be less cocky"- now granted that was in regards to a bet I had with him, that I won, and just like Justin, he denies it, (*must be a male thing, see above), but still that's swagger ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • And in regards to running when I get the prescribed paces, workouts, I don't get the anxiety/fear I used to, in fact, I kind of like the tempo run now!  In the bigger picture, I see that after everything - that I can handle a split/pace.  
  • Even after my first race back last week, it didn't go as planned, and I honestly can tell you, it didn't really bother me.  I felt how I wanted to feel through 7 miles, weather I can't control, and I knew, and was confident enough to know, the result was not indicative of my current fitness. Now, am I ready to qualify yet, heck no, but headed in the right direction, yep.
  • So, where I lack, is the bigger picture, of truly believing I will and can achieve my dream.  Letting it all play out, trusting the training, believing in the run.  Feeling really far off still.
Sometimes I think I just need to channel E. Jr.  You ask kids if they're good at something and they unabashedly tell you , yes.  When/where do we lose that swagger?  Especially as females...?  I got this๐Ÿ‘Š



So here's to keeping this train rolling one week at a time. I am very excited about SUMMAH and have lots to look forward to!  Happy Memorial Day, feeling extra grateful to all those who served so we can do and have what we do❤


No comments:

Post a Comment