Pages

Monday, February 9, 2015

Pancakes Anyone?

Runner's Den Pancake 10K Race Review

Following through on the promise for quick race recaps, here is a short one on my 2nd race this year as this is one of those times when work (why did I raise my hand to do that?), running (how many miles this week...even after a race?  Ok,  I'll stop asking), life (yes that wedding planning is happening, no Facebook I do not want a t-shirt that says "Stay Calm and Wedding Plan"...p.s. who does buy that crap?) all are colliding at once.

This one was less a focus race and more of a planned workout within a long run, it's tough to take time out to taper "right" for a race because when you do you essentially can take 3 weeks out of your training block.  So unless it's a must for you - you plug right through.  However, I was pretty amped for this one because 5 of us were in this, and would be able to work together to SWEEP top 5 (which we did - #SDPStrongerTogether).    Anyways, as a result I went ahead with a normal week of training and did pretty hard descending ladder mile repeats on Wednesday and another semi-hard effort Friday that left my legs a tad tired.

But, it was good because it gave me another chance to refine my pre-race routine, which I am so pysched about! I have found the perfect fueling and hydration combo that is really working for me.  I am lasting a lot longer in races before I run out of calories.

I think my favorite part of moving to new cities is learning their unique and big races, this Pancake one seemed to be one, lots of history, and sold out - always a good sign.  In fact my only critique is it started at 9:15, I mean when you wake up when I do that's like lunch time :)  As a result, I struggled a bit on the warm-up timing, I did 4 miles beforehand, but I think I did it too early.  I was anxious to just get rolling.

Gun went off, and honestly I can say race strategy went a little south - plan was to race conservative, and 1st mile was 5:50 -epic fail.  After that I evened it out though and finished in 37:55, 4th overall....6:07 pace.  So now I just need to keep that for 20 more miles, with room for a little explosion if needed....right?  No, honestly I felt like I legitimately gained some serious fitness from the 1/2 (6:19 pace) to now, so I am hoping my next half pulls in between these two races in regards to pace, and that will be a very good indicator of progress.
PANCAKE SWEEP #SDPStrongerTogether!

Things that I liked about this race:
1.   Teammates:  it was awesome sweeping and running next to some serious talent.. it's inspiring
2.   New racing Flats:  I love my new Skechers Go Meb's -and speaking of which, today I got my whole shipment and I am in running heaven :)
3.   Pre-race routine is getting tight - and that has been a journey!
#LikeaGirl (with new racing flats!! #GOlikeneverbefore)
Me and amazing Holli who does wonders for Girls on the Run, #youknowyouarejealousofmypancakemugIwon.

Most girls get excited for shoes....but probably not these kind of shoes!?  Got my new Skechers Performance Shipment!
Net, back to work today with a 9 mile recovery run, minimal damage left behind except a small monster grabbing my hamstrings tightly, but that is what Mr. Foam Roller is for!  #GOlikeneverbefore #SDPStrongerTogether #LikeaGirl #BeSwift #TeamNuun

3 comments:

  1. Nice work! I want to hear more about your pre-race routine, and the wedding planning :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy! Hey there lady ;) Pre race routine I am super proud of, literally took years to finally nail. I was consistently running out of gas mid race for no reason, I know I was in better shape. But I had this battle of eat/drink, not eat drink before races because I have a queasy stomach, especially before races, Anyways my friend is into nutrition and helped me find the perfect combo....so here is my "nailed" routine for now:
      Saturday - Pool run in the AM (it just feels good on the legs, like an ice bath for an hour), hip routine (basically clam shells galore)
      Saturday night I do eat carbs, for me I am a carb eater - I feel best and run best when I stick to carbs, I have tried other stuff and lose weight feel tired, then I walk 2 miles, visualize race plan, and hit it.
      Sunday morning - get up 2 hours before - drink Nuun lemon lime and eat this awesome paleo bread and almond butter - that i think is the perfect mix of calories and protien that tops the carbs off from night before and really keeps me full through the race. Then I do my hip routine and drive to race to warm-up. I am not an expert, but it's working? as for wedding planning, that will be a whole blog post in itself, quite humorous the stories we have already, lol.
      xoxoox
      does that help?
      CB

      Delete
  2. Interesting and very thorough routine! Mine is not quite as detailed, but I do enjoy carbs both the night before and morning of the race (amount depends on how long the race is!)...and of course my favorite beet juice shots! Looking forward to the weekend!

    ReplyDelete