Pages

Friday, February 13, 2015

Feedback + "Jason"

It is amazing to me that people actually read this blog!  As part of the Sonoran Distance Project we all have blogs, it is a way to engage the running world and also create awareness for the women's running movement.  A tad nervous,  I figured at least my mom would read it, but after I sent it out and saw 700 people opened it  -  I knew my mom loved me, but that would be a lot of re-reads - - other people must be reading this?!

And with that comes feedback, which I am 100% open to....and appreciate.  Here are what I hear most consistently:
  • You need to post more often
  • You need to be detailed in your training, what are your weeks like?
  • What exactly do you do for recovery, for strength?
  • Who is your Fiance?
  • What do you eat?
So, I am going to cover all of these - not at once, but here and there. My only disclaimer is remember this is just what I do, what is working for me, I am by NO means an expert on anything.  So don't get fired up if you disagree, you're probably right ;)  Every athlete is different and has their own "mojo". Deal?!

So with that, I figured it was appropriate to cover the "fiance" question as it is Valentine's Day!  And this is quite humorous because I know he reads this!

My fiance is Justin, aka "Jason".  For some reason, he is always called Jason - by my dad, by mom #2 (Jodi), and even yesterday on the phone with the priest as I was trying to set up the dates, etc., "So where does Jason live?" I was going to correct him, but then I thought, you know I am not going to correct a priest.  We will address that day of. :)
A legit picture of the 2 us actually being serious so you know what he looks like :)
We met when I was an intern at P&G :)  He literally stopped by my desk 4x in one day asking if I would sub for his flag football team.  After three "no's" I thought either a) this guy thinks this is a great pick-up line or b) he is REALLY serious about football and doesn't want to forfeit.  Reflecting back on the situation now, I realize he was really serious about football.  Anyways, I said yes figuring I knew no one in the new city, and maybe I could make friends.  Well, I made one for sure - Justin and I were best friends for about 5 years before we even started dating.  I was dating someone else at the time, and just loved him as a friend.  We did everything together - golfing, movies, basketball, tennis (the one thing he can beat me at), etc.  I then moved to Minneapolis and as fate would have it life threw a rather tough curveball at Justin and though being farther away, we became incredibly close as he battled through that.  I would move back to Cincy, and shortly after we started dating. Then life threw me a curveball, and he became my rock.   And the rest is history!

We are so alike in some ways and so very different in others.  We are both actually huge introverts - most think we are extroverted because we are friendly; but really we love to just hang the two of us and be nerds.  We both are very athletic and sports nuts, and have a deep love for Chicago.  And extremely competitive; he has matured some in that department; I am still a #workinprogress
And the differences are humorous.  I am WICKED Type A - - Justin is my calm, relaxed opposite.  When Justin was here a few weeks ago I remember waking up and seeing him sitting outside on the patio reading.  And I just had to laugh.  I seriously do not think I physically could just get up in the morning and sit down!  But I think that is why we are so perfect for each other - - I like to think I push him in ways to get to places he has never been, and I know for me he is the reason I have not had a heart attack by 30 :)

speaking of heart attack, Justin and I after looking at how much all this wedding stuff costs!
I cannot count the number of times our friends will ask - do you guys EVER fight, you seem like Pollyanna and Peter (I made the names up, but you get my point - like farmer nice).  The answer is not really screaming fighting, we just are not like that.  I cannot say I actually ever screamed at anyone - -we pout.  I got that one from my mom - never once screamed at me, but when I did something stupid - she pouted.  It's worse - trust me.  Anyways, Justin has done many stupid things.  I think my mom and I have mailed numerous shoes, P&G badges, wallets, cellphones, etc to Cincinnati because he lost/left them.  I know for a fact if his head was not attached to his body I would have already mailed it back 3x.   These "situations" have caused me to pout quite a few times because they always seem to happen at the perfect times - you know how that goes.  And I have done EVEN stupider things (ummm...maybe I lost the diamond on my engagement ring!?!).  But I think the beauty of our relationship is we're older now so we realize we're human, humans do dumb things, and they do not do them intentionally.  So we get over it fast and move on.

Justin is extremely smart, very old school gentleman like, and incredibly funny.  We literally can entertain ourselves for hours just walking and talking :)

This is bad behavior for me, but a classic Justin Picture being  ridiculously funny.

And another favorite Justin Story - at a T-Giving Race he got this Fox (don't ask why there is a fox we still don't know) to come behind my mom and ask for a picture  - LOVE THIS.
My family loves him, perhaps more then me even I fear!  But I think the thing I love most about him, is his morals/values.  He truly is the "salt of the earth".  He has been so incredibly supportive of me chasing this dream, it's really unfathomable.  He is my biggest fan - through thick and thin.  I know if I asked him to get the moon for me he would be on the first spaceship out there, probably would leave his wallet there, but whatever.  So I end this post with my all time favorite Justin story.  Perhaps a bit personal, but I think it beautifully demonstrates how lucky I am.

I am Catholic, not a holy roller - I mean probably if the church knew I was saying I was Catholic, they would say - EKKKKKKK can you NOT announce that please :)  But I am, I grew up Catholic, went to Catholic schools, etc.  And through all the moves, the mess, the rough times, you name it the one constant has been my faith.  I never would tell anyone, or push it on anyone, it just is what it is.  Well, after Justin asked me to marry him (another humorous story, see Facebook :) we were talking about the who, what, when, where, etc.  And without me even asking he said let's do it at a Catholic Church - - well if you're Catholic you know that's a whole barrel of worms if you are both not Catholic, totally doable, but it involves, classes, retreats, etc (and right now both of us are a bit strapped for time and in 2 different states).  So I gently said, well let's talk about it because without being Catholic it can be messy.  And to that he said, "I am".  I became Catholic because I saw how much it meant to you.   So without me even knowing he went through the whole process (which is rather...brutal...) for me?

Yes, no more needs to be said.  It's a little thing, but that was probably the moment I knew I was the luckiest girl on earth.  So Justin, Jason, whatever you call him...to me he's my Valentine :)


4 comments:

  1. Wow! That story about Justin converting is amazing! You guys are perfect together! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's an awesome story! I know it's not just a little thing to convert. I love the moments when you "just know" :) now I want to know how you lost that diamond! Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brutal - - total CB classic - -you and I need to meet 1/2 way in CA one day for lunch, and I can tell you - -you will never believe it, too good to be true, I actually ended up finding the diamond by retracing my steps, unreal.

      Delete