Pages

Monday, January 19, 2015

1st Race of 2015! RNR AZ

I am going to try and be very fast on the turnaround for race reviews, because it is best to reflect right away, as to remember what you did/didn't do so you can learn and move forward.

This past weekend a few of us kicked off the 2015 season at the Rock N Roll AZ 1/2 marathon/marathon.  Honestly, I did not know what to expect.  On the one hand I feel like a had a bit of a "breakthrough" at a Thanksgiving race - a mental tweak my sister actually helped me with - and since then I have been training well, loving my new teammates and support, getting back into some track work consistently, so all in all a good block of training.  On the other hand, Sunday my grandma passed away, and so I flew to Chicago for the wake/funeral, an emotional low.  And then right to Cincy for an inspirational meeting, emotional high.  I got home Thursday night after midnight.  Net, not great on the body, and had done most of my key pre-race workouts via treadmill. But we talked through the race plan; and I felt good about it.  Life is never perfect anyway, it is what you do with what it hands you that determines your success.  So I set out the gear for the morning excited to get after it!
Running this year for Nuun, Swiftwick, Soleus Running, Sweaty Bands, Skechers, P&G, and  Sonoran Distance Project!

I feel like I have found a morning race routine that is working for me; my close friend is a health/nutrition coach and we found the perfect combo in the hours before the race that is really working.  Her paleo bread and almond butter plus 1 bottle of Nuun.  I eat a lot of carbs in  general so this kind of just tops the tank I think and keeps me full (protein).  Then I do my hip routine and hit the car to get there.

Driving in...I knew it....I felt it, I was like - "I am stoked, not nervous, just frikkin stoked to run".  And as soon as I arrived and saw my teammate Natalie I felt at home; some people just have that gift and she is one of them.  We warmed up 2 miles, did some drills and headed to the start.
Natalie and I standing by a fire pit in the elite tent area, yes it was 60 degrees, but I have learned your blood thins fast after living here!

At the start I really didn't have my BRUTAL mental issues I usually have, I mean I am not going to say I was singing Annie, but I was pretty calm.  Gun went off, and we went out a tad fast then the desired pace; but not too bad (my usual issue).  And it was FRIKKIN FUN.  The cool thing is we ran in silence together for about 9 miles, yet it was like we were conversing the whole time.  The sound of each other breathing....was words.  You could hear the training, the common understanding, the emotions you go through...all through breath.  At 9 you go straight up a hill and that is where the race plan became a bit more unknown.  Some days you have it, and those are the moments you cherish, because it feels so special.  Yesterday was one of those days.  I didn't really lose pace and one of my last miles was actually 6:04.  I felt like I could run forever.  PR 1:22:40 (previous 1:24:34).

Running can be a brutal sport. You work so hard, day after day, and nothing, nothing, nothing to show for it. Then finally a breakthrough.  This has literally been 4 years in the making since illness/injury.  I have made some strides, progress all the way for sure, but very small PRs.  This was a 2 minute PR - on a WAY tougher course.  So I am not declaring victory, trust me the work ahead is daunting; but it was what I NEEDED, I prayed for this, a sign to believe in the training, don't let go, keep hanging on.
One of our sponsors, Pantene,  rallies around an amazing campaign, Stronger Together and this race was the perfect example of that.  
So net, right after you cross the line recovery begins; and I am pretty anal about recovery. I have a whole routine that could be a post in itself, so I won't bore you the details!  But, now it's back to work; something as sick as it sounds is very comforting for me, I enjoy the journey.  And as my mom said, my grandma FINALLY got to see me race, and she saw a good one :)

I always have this ridiculous glazed over look when I finish racing....embarrassing.
 
Best seat in the house to watch is on the road itself :)

No comments:

Post a Comment