Pages

Saturday, February 27, 2016

Skechers!?

Before I hit "publish" on every post I always double, triple check and make sure it doesn't sound braggish, arrogant, or all about me, me, me.  I struggle a lot with social media/blogs - - they all seem very self serving, and make me feel a tad uncomfortable :( It's difficult to strike a balance between providing updates to friends/family, and what seems like complete and utter bravado? But if I write about my mom's life  - well...I am just not sure that goes with the theme of the whole blog :)
So I really worry about this one, I do not want to come across as look at me, I am sponsored, yadda, yadda...but I get quite a few messages on why Skechers, and so I thought I would tell you why I chose Skechers and why I love the brand/company like I do.


1.  The blatant obvious one that everyone sees - they sponsor arguably 2 of the best runners in behind Meb and Kara.  So their stuff must be good, right? :)  It's the classic if X wears/uses it, it must be good.  Jordan with Nike, Speith with UA, Messi with Adidas, Manning with Gatorade/Papa John's, and the list goes on.  And in all honesty - there is some truth to this.  Typically these athletes provide a lot of input into the products, and change the design/features based on their experience.  I can tell you for a fact both Kara and Meb have inputted and most of their newest releases are all a result of this feedback/input.  Also, I know when I need something in a 'new" arena that I am not comfortable in - I buy what the "experts" use - example, yoga mat type - I saw what the best teachers at my studio used and boom - bought that.  BUT, more importantly it's the type of athletes Skechers went after that made me love the brand. Meb and Kara are SALT OF THE EARTH, I have personally met both of them, and they are what you see on TV/social media - real people, down to earth, passionate about the sport, human, genuine, hardworking, awesome.  I have so much respect for both of them as runners, but more importantly as people.  So the fact that Skechers chose to support them, I think, says volumes about the brand's values.

Most recently Meb and Kara showcasing the LA Marathon...


2.  Their statement in the running community - - wow!  They are committed and you can see it.  Just in the past few years they have become the title sponsor for major running events - Houston, LA, Bolder Boulder to name a few.  These are not your neighborhood 5k's - this is a HUGE investment and they probably aren't making money on these - it's more a statement that they are here for the long run (no pun intended), legit, and supportive of the biggest, and best running has to offer in terms of events.  I love that! (I secretly am hoping they sponsor the Chicago Marathon- my favorite marathon!!)

3.  Athlete community - - This is one of those ones, where I think like attracts like.  We have a FB group and I follow a majority of their sponsored athletes and I can tell you it is the most humble, down to earth, hardworking group of athletes I have ever seen.  Their is no bravado in the posts, it's just stories - and I am so proud to be a part of it.  We all support each other and it's so fun to cheer each other on every weekend.  Skechers hand picked a bunch of athletes who not only can compete - but have the same values /attitude  - it's pretty cool.
3 of us at one of the three races I ran last year - we all won our respective races - a good showing for Skechers for sure!
4.  Support of athletes - - Very personal for me, sponsorship is a journey.  In year one it is difficult to find your groove, you are testing all the products, seeing what works for you, feeling out the brand, etc.  And then add to that the fact I was injured 10 months of the 12 last year.  I thought for sure they would bag me this year - - but they didn't-  they believe in me and my dream, and signed me again for this year.  (Now, I assume it helps the 3 races I ran I won 2, and top 5'd the third, but none the less I was on the bench most of the year).  Being an athlete on a competitive level, chasing a dream puts you in a vulnerable position, and they get that - and they had my back.  For that reason alone, I have never been prouder to represent them.  It's probably why I work for the company that I do, P&G, they are the same way, and have similarly had my back.  For those reasons my loyalty runs deep.  Furthermore, they just get it  - I run for the Sonoran Distance Project (my other love) and they allow me to put the SDP logo on the racing kit - we all work together!

This is the 2016 racing kit!  I love it, I might have already tried on the shorts and singlet - maybe :)
5.  Products - - And the number one reason (ignore that I numbered these backwards, :).....they have GOOD stuff.  I spent a year tinkering, and now I know exactly what I like, and they have good shoes and training gear.  They  have a lot of different models pending your fancy (trails, track, road, short, long), foot type, preference - just like Brooks, Asics, Saucony would.  My coach believes in rotating between a few models to keep the feet alive and working in different ways.  So my rotation is as follows:
The GOrun Ride 4/5:  This is my main staple, I currently am wearing the 4 (but the 5 is out and I am saving that until I burn through my 4's).  It's lightweight which I love in 8.4 oz (size 10 womens), and a 4 MM heel drop.  I can feel my foot on the ground, which I prefer, yet it has enough stability for my goofy ankles.  I really despise a heavy shoe, my legs feel like they are lifting weights if I wear them.  So these allow me to run long and still be lightweight.  Net I would say I do about 80% of my miles in these.
GRR4 - -BCA version, which also I think is wicked cool that they did that

The GOrun Forza:  These are my 'feeling a bit beat up' "just did a harder effort the day before', or 'just want comfort shoe'.  They are a heavier, at 10.8 oz, but they are Skechers best (IMO) stability shoe, you just  feel good in them, no matter what you did the day before, that morning (if it's a shakeout jog), etc.  It's an 8MM drop , which is as FAR as I would go anymore - as more then that and I think it alters my form.  I wear these typically after a harder effort day, so for example I did a fartlek effort last Wednesday  - as I break myself back into speed work - and the day after I ran in these, felt amazing.

The Forza, a newer shoe to the line-up, been wearing it since I came back (6 weeks now) - and love it, this is the exact model I wear too.

The GOrun Meb 3's:  These are my special sauce - reserved for only racing and speedwork.  Rather minimal, and my feet know when I put these on, we mean business :)  These are extremely lightweight - 5.3 oz!  Still a 4 MM drop though so enough stability to run a marathon in.   The newest version of these have a knit upper and I am wicked excited to test these out (and that day is coming  rather soon!!!)


CB Special Sauce shoe, only for "fast" occasions!
BONUS SECTION*(I am too lazy to re-number everything & I just thought of a few extra things)...
So Skechers is also just a cool, fun brand.  Every pair of shoes comes with an alternate color laces, personalize it baby! Our hashtags are so fun too, #GOlikeneverbefore #Haveafastday (which you can make into HAD, which is fun!) #Getyourmilesin....they spur conversations, and fun journeys vs. blatant product promotion.

Anyways, I hope this answers all the questions. If not as usual send me a message :) I am proud to be a Skechers athlete and humbled they stuck with me, and support my dream, commitment to my team, and me....I am determined to make them proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment